Calypso Restaurant, Kioni, Ithaka
1250g Red Onion
5 Spoons of Butter
3 Spoons of Olive Oil
300ml Fresh Cream
400g Filo Pastry
- Sweat the Onions and Bacon in a large pan on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the Cheese and Cream into the pan and stir gently.
- Season the mixture with plenty of Salt & Pepper plus any other herbs of your choice.
- Take the pan off of the heat, crack all of the eggs into the mixture, stir well and put to one side.
- Get a deep baking tray and carefully grease the tin.
- Divide your Filo pastry into even rectangles (most Filo Pastry comes in rectangular strips anyway).
- Place the first layer of Filo Pastry into your baking tray.
- Mix the Butter and Olive Oil together.
- With a Pastry Brush wash the Filo Pastry layer with the Butter.
- Repeat this step 4 times.
- Fill the baking tray with the Onion, Bacon and Cheese mixture.
- Fold the edges of the Pastry onto the top of the mixture.
- Place 4 more layers of Filo Pastry on top of the mixture, washing the layers with Butter and Oil mix each time.
- Tuck the pastry into the edges of the tin and score a diagonal line across the top of the Pastry.
- Bake in oven till Pastry is golden brown.